- Label bins or baskets with pictures of what is stored so that children can cooperate and clean up after activities.
- Hang photos of children’s families and artwork that reflects children’s culture to send a message that children are accepted and respected.
- A cubby or space for each child’s personal things reminds children that they belong in your program.
- Comfortable adult seating where a child can sit on your lap fosters feelings of being cared for.
- Create space for children to be together as a group, such as for circle time, to foster relationships.
- Make activities accessible, for example, by adding steps so children can independently wash their hands, to help them feel capable and confident.
- Include a cozy child sanctuary to give children a place regulate their emotions.